Thursday, April 8, 2010

"The light at the End of the Tunnel may be you" Steven Tyler

This is the first time the Alphabet Challenge has sent me to the dictionary. My first thought was the “G” in the Freemason's square-and-compass logo, but if I ever wanted to join, they may not let me, since I proved to be a poor secret-keeper. My next thought was Gastro-intestinal, because it would open me up to plenty of juvenile jokes. I swear, sometimes it's like I'm 12!

What I've settled on was Guru, the ultimate mixed-blessing of all spiritual communities! I can't count how often I've been disappointed by “Enlightened Ones” of many traditions, but just as often, I've been surprised at some insight from an unexpected source. As the adage goes, “don't meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed.”

At the end of the day, the problem was me; I was expecting too much from a human being. Ironically, it was one of the most disappointing teachers who pointed this out to me. The biggest epiphany of all this was that I needed to separate knowledge from the Guru. Not only does this allow Gurus to be human, it allows the seeker to learn from ANYONE AND ANYWHERE!

One of the quickest write-off's was the Hare Krishna's. While there is much to be admired about their ideology, I was put-off when I first went to visit them, and a monk asked if I wanted to be a monk. Whoa, dude! We just met; I'm not moving in with you just yet! And many of the adherents seemed high – I'm not sure if they were smoking grass, but having spent many years in Vancouver, I recognize that glazed and easily-distracted look! (I've been to a few protests and concerts in my day;) ) Years later, I was with friends and was approached by an HK adherent. After, a friend asked, “did he seem high to you?” I felt validated in my opinion. On the other hand, they had a vegetarian feast after a service I attended, and despite my pessimism, I was really impressed! Those folks are wizards with produce, and I'd highly recommend their food!

“To live in the world without becoming aware of the meaning of the world is like wandering about in a great library without touching the books.” Manly P. Hall, The Secret Teachings of All Ages

4 comments:

  1. A most impressive topic, I'm not up to much about Guru's but enjoyed what you wrote.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a lovely day
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very enlightening, no pun intended. All said and done we are all human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of learning from anyone anywhere... I think we all possess wisdom in certain areas (um, okay, maybe not EVERYONE) and part of life is learning from others. No human has all of the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I didn't think Hare Krishnas would smoke dope.

    ReplyDelete