Saturday, April 3, 2010

C is for Catholic

It's “C” Day, and I'd like to take this opportunity to talk about something that's been on my mind.
In January, I heard a radio report on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. radio station that the Catholic Church in Nova Scotia was selling-off a lot of their real estate assets to pay for law suits. They owed over 18 million in reparations for – you guessed it – sex abuse.

A few years ago, I had the same opinion of the Catholic Church as anyone else who watched the news, but my wife had her heart set on getting married where she had done her other sacraments. After meeting many members of that Church through the 8-week pre-marital course, I came away from the experience with a healthy respect for Catholics. I enjoyed the company of many Believers who were just like the Believers of any other faith; sincerely wanting to be involved in a healthy community, and serving their God in a way that was comfortable for them.

What stuck with me from the news item, though, was the selling-assets part. It's well known that the Catholic Church is one of the wealthiest organizations in the world, and that kind of wealth tends to influence a governing body in ways that don't serve their religious goals. Perhaps it's time for them to liquidate, even 60% would leave them with massive assets.

And let's not forget the good they've done with their stature. Asides from countless charities, it was the monasteries that kept copies of great literature around through the dark ages (Plato & Socrates, etc), and were the fore-runners to our Universities.

For the record, I am not a Catholic, nor will I be in the foreseeable future. What I believe in is not painting every member of a large group with the same brush.

10 comments:

  1. I am sure many Catholics appreciate this..I am not Catholic either but every Catholic is not corrupt because of what a few people have done. Well stated. Have a great weekend Will and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much talk in Ireland about the Catholic priest and sex abuse, even on our news today.
    I am not a catholic but I know of a non Catholic who abused children many years ago......he worked with my husband at the time and one of his vicims was my daughter. she was nine yrs of age. now at 38 she still has memories. We all have our beliefs and opinions, there is good and bad in all creeds and races.

    Have a good Easter, another excellent Challenge blog.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that people should not be tarred with the same brush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you! I'm not Catholic either (my grandmother was), but I saw and heard plenty about sex abuse in the crazy charismatic churches my mother made me go to when I was a kid and they went to great lengths to cover it up, just like the Catholic church has. All priests aren't sex offenders (just like all charismatic preachers aren't) and it's not right to put that off on an entire group of people.

    You did a great job with this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good point, and a good weekend to post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WILL ~
    I am not and never have been Catholic, but I was very curious about what was happening in the Catholic church and why this sex abuse scandal seemed to suddenly explode into public awareness.

    A very good book, 'GOODBYE, GOOD MEN' by Michael S. Rose, answered my questions. It's a very revealing book that I certainly recommend to anyone who wants to know more about this subject.

    Good post, Bro.

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McMe

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome job! Love your point of view

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most difficult aspects to me of being a Christian is... well... other Christians. The ones who make the news for thing such as all of the Catholic sexual abuse scandals. I have atheist/agnostic friends who often base their views of religion on what they see through the media... and unfortunately often personal experience as well. I wish they could see the Christianity that I follow... that is responsible for good actions as well, that leads charities and feeds children and loves people. I completely agree with you that all Catholics (or Christians in general) should not be judged by the actions of some. Perhaps that is all the more cause for us to increase our actions that show love instead of intolerance? I really appreciated your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my daughters got married in the Catholic church last year and she and her husband seem very committed and I can admire that. There are many fine catholics and like you said with the bad has probably come far more good.
    Good post for the letter C.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a recovering Catholic who is engaged to an Aetheist. We have met in the middle with our beliefs. I have to say I do appreciate your thought in this matter, as I do think there are many many wonderful Catholics out there. But they are not just wonderful people because they are Catholics, but because they were raised by wonderful people as well and have made choices that make them very wonderful people.

    So, although I no longer consider myself to be a part of the Catholic doctrine, I do love going to church sometimes to hang out with all of the wonderful people there and be part of the community.

    Thanks again for the post.

    ReplyDelete