Thursday, April 7, 2011

Force, Form, and the Sacred Feminine

The Sacred Feminine was all but lost for much of recorded history. It's a little embarrassing, as a man, how phallus-centric the world has been. As a friend said when we were speaking of cultural subjection of women, “if God made anything better (than women), He kept it for himself.”

Now, while I'm happy to say how wonderful women are, the point of the Divine Feminine has more to do with the abstract qualities. This can be easily understood from the agricultural perspective. The earth was represented by the Feminine, taking the seed (an obvious masculine element) and keeping it in the darkness to germinate until it's ready to face the world outside. There is an obvious parallel to an embryo when I say it like that.

I found this illustrated really well by the Chinese Yin Yang. Yin is the black, feminine half, and Yank is the white, masculine half (I remember this because “Yang” rhymes with “Wang.” Sometimes, it's helpful to be painfully juvenile.) I once knew someone who thought that this symbol originated with the American Civil Rights movement, but it has nothing to do with race. It also doesn't relate to the Western Black-Bad-White-Good that we see in cinema. White reflects the active like light. White isn't really a reflected colour, but the reflection of all colours. Likewise, Black isn't a colour, but the reflection of no light – absorbing it all.

This can be seen in how form is put to any desire. When I left High School, I had a desire for a career, so I went to college. I bet that many of you will relate that I was absorbed into the institution and groomed.

Likewise, when I want to write a story, it begins with a desire and a loose idea. Actually writing it develops it into a form that is recognizable as a story.

This is just how I'm wired, but I like to see things in this Force and Form perspective. It's more philosophic than religious, and it's an important element of the Mystery School tradition.

11 comments:

  1. An excellent F word subject, extremely well written and I enjoyed the read into the bargain.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Will. Any time I see or hear a man speak of the Sacred Feminine is give me goosebumps and hope that one day soon, She will be spoken of by all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Now I'll remember better which one is Yin and which one in Yang. *winks*

    On a side note, I find it interested that in Egyptian mythology, earth (Geb) is represented by a male god, whereas the female is the sky goddess (Nut).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really interesting post, I like your point about the reasoning behind the colour choices for Yin and Yang and the feminine/masculine, I'd never heard about them as being the reflection and absorption of light.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminded me of Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code :) Great post.

    Following you from A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Will for the visit and comment, Not to worry about going anywhere much, you have a young family and family comes first, There that's two F WORDS , FAMILY, FIRST.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good saying from your friend! I find men irrestitible when they admire women like that... :)
    - andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think of the divine feminine as the Mother aspect of god. I think of God as Father/Mother not just father. These post of yours are so refreshing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great F usage here...and an interesting perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post and very well-written. Your analysis is pretty sound, so you're not going to get any disagreement from me. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well written and insightful post. I can never remember which one is which either:)

    http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

    ReplyDelete